Under 21A vs Kilmacud Crokes
Saturday, 15th November 2014

Result: 1 23 to 1 17

How appropriate it was. As the Boden Drama Group take the stage with their final production of “Many Young Men of Twenty”, Ballyboden’s young hurlers of that vintage served up a superb performance of their own in Sancta Maria on Saturday 15th November in defeating keen rivals Kilmacud Crokes in the Dublin U21 Hurling Championship quarter-final.

The game was played in perfect, still, calm November conditions as Crokes were first to attack the Boden goal. A fine save by a focused Conor Dooley was followed by a pinpoint clearance to Gavin Corrigan, who opened the scoring for the home side. As expected, there was not much between these two fine teams and scores were exchanged throughout the first quarter with the sides level four times in that period. James Madden and Tom Hanafin led the defence and in midfield, Conor Robinson was his usual industrious self. When Naoise Greene put Boden ahead 6 points to 5, it signalled a good spell for Boden. This was followed by a masterful display of long-range scoretaking when Jamie Desmond slotted over four 65’s. Crokes clawed their way back to near parity at the end of the first half, mainly through the efforts of Caolan Conway to leave the half-time score at Boden 0-11 Crokes 0-9.

The second half required a statement and Eoghan O’Neill delivered it with two superb points from the left. Again Crokes responded, with Robert Murphy delivering good ball to the forwards. The sides were level again after ten minutes at 14 points each. Boden steadied and with Dónal Butler playing an increasingly influential role at half-back, began to get the upper  hand. This was Boden’s best period and all lines were working well – Tom Hanafin and Kenneth Wigglesworth cleaning up at the back with Colm O’Neill and Adam Jermyn providing the link to the full-forward line, the chances came. One of these arrived in the 20th minute when James Roche got his hand on the ball, was fouled and allowed to keep going by referee Dave O’Donovan, shook off another tackle and pinged the ball to the net. This now left eight between the teams and surely the win would become a reality. Crokes piled forward and got a late goal but with Conor Dooley in the last few minutes, as he did in the first, minding the net with great authority, the home team won out on a scoreline of 1-23 to 1-17. An early winter boost and great credit to both teams for the game they played in front of a fine crowd.  Boden look forward to the semi-final in a couple of weeks.