Intermediate vs St. Mark's
Wednesday, 13th June 2018

Result: 3-07 to 2-07

In a season that has been blighted by absentees’, injuries, unavailability, forging studies and a myriad of other reasons Ballybodens Division 3 Intermediate team has had to endure a succession of hammer blows that would have sunk every other team without a trace. But somehow the difficulties that have beset this team has in a way galvanised them to produce some incredible performances and last evening in McGee Park was an outstanding example of their guts and determination.

Up by five points at the break it didn’t look good for the visitors as a gale force wind blew in to the dressing room goals and only a massive miracle was going to save Boden. With only two subs to call on, it didn’t look good for the visitors. Boden started brightly and tapped over three on the trot before the industrious O Reilly was hauled down inside the box and the referee duly pointed to the spot. O Hara took responsibility and coolly rolled the leather in to the corner of the net. Marks replied with two well taken scores before Boden notched another two, one an absolute beauty from the sideline from Mikey Dunne. Boden had at least two other gilt edge chances for goals but elected to take points and keep the scoreboard moving. The half time whistle came too soon for Boden as they had enjoyed what could be described as a mini gael. Now the pressure was on.

The second period was going to be tough for Boden. The instructions at half time was to apply maximum pressure at every opportunity and close down the opposition. Boden quickly got in to the game and enjoyed a 10 minute spell of keeping ball and forcing Marks back. However there was no great end product from this and in an instant the game changed. Boden lost handy possession about 40 out and were punished when Marks goaled. Boden didn’t panic,  got forward a few minutes later and were rewarded with a fine Cian Bates goal after excellent work right throughout the field. Boden had their tails up and notched another score to put them four up heading in to the last ten minutes. In fairness to the home side they pressed hard and were rewarded by a goal that could only have come through the elements as the driving wind and rain sent the long  ball directly to the Boden net. Game on...again.

Boden won a couple of very hard fought possessions around this time and then started to build pressure on the home defence. Boden were patient and recycled the ball and waited.  And waited. Eventually the opportunity came and a small space opened up and that man again, Cian Bates came like an express train through the middle to bury the leather in the Marks net. Game over. This was a victory for tenacity, bravery and above all team work, especially against the wind.

Who were the heroes? Absolutely everyone. No exceptions. Both substitutions made a massive impact and those who started  left everything on the pitch.

Tremendous effort away from home and an important two points